Journal of Contemporary Agriculture and Bioscience
Morphological Study of Pummello Germplasm in Chattogram Region of Bangladesh
Received: 09 January, 2022 || Accepted: 30 January, 2022 || Published: 06 February, 2022
An experiment was conducted at Agricultural Research Station, Khulshi, Chattogram during 2019-2020 for the evaluation of twenty two pummello genotypes. Among these twenty two germplasm, ten genotypes namely CG Pah002, CG Pah003, CG Pah005, CG Pah006, CG Pah008, CG Pah013, CG Pah015, CG Pah020, CG Pah021 and CG Pah022 produced fruits.The heaviest fruit (1826g) was recorded from CG Pah 013 followed by CG Pah005 that weighted 1790g. The lightest fruit (730g) was observed in CG Pah020 followed by CG Pah021 that weighted 740g. The largest fruit size (15.2 cm x 17.9 cm) was obtained from CG Pah013 and the smallest fruit size (10.67cm x 12.57cm) was recorded from CG Pah021. The heaviest segment (73.20g) was recorded from CG Pah006 and the lightest segment (33.92g) was recorded from CG Pah020. Maximum edible portion (68.0%) was calculated from CG Pah015 and minimum edible portion (46.84%) was calculated from CG Pah003. The highest total soluble solid (10.73) was counted from CG Pah020 and the lowest total soluble solid (7.04) was counted from CG Pah002. CG Pah015 produced maximum amount of fruit (24.15 kg) and CG Pah002 produced minimum amount of fruit (1.13 kg). All the genotypes were bitter in taste except CG Pah006.
Keywords: Pummelo, qualitative characters, Quantitative characters, Climatic condition.
Copyright information: Copyright © 2021 Author(s) retain the copyright of this article. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
How to cite: Chowdhury, S.M.K.H., Azam, M.G., & Rashid, A.S.M.H. 2022. Morphological Study of Pummello Germplasm in Chattogram Region of Bangladesh. Journal of Contemporary Agriculture and Bioscience, 1(1), 5-8.
- Ara, N., Bashar, M.K., Uddin, M.K., & Khalequzzaman K.M.(2008). Evaluation of pummelo, Citrus grandis L. cultivars in northern area of Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Research, 46(1), 65-75.
- Azam, M. G., Akter, R., Rahman, M. S., Mahmud, S., Alam, M. R., Faruq, M. O., & Rahman, M. M. (2018). Optimization of sowing time of BARI Sarisha 14 & BARI Sarisha 15 in Chittagong region. Journal of Bioscience and Agriculture Research, 17(02), 1431-1435.
- Azam, M. G., Chowdhury, S.M. K. H., Hoque, M. M. U., Hasan M.Z. & Jarin N.J. (2020). Phenotyping of Mustard (Brassica juncea) under the agro ecological condition of Chattogram region. Asian Journal of Crop, 3(01), 94-101.
- Azam, M. G., Uddin, M. S., Chowdhury, S.M. K. H., Rashid, A.S.M. H., Barua, H., Chhanda, R. A.,Rahman,S.,Bagum.S.A., Shamsunnahar,S. & Islam, M. N. (2020). Variability studies of guava (Psidium guajava L.) genotypes for growth, yield and quality attributes in Chattogram region of Bangladesh. Journal of Agricultural Science & Engineering Innovation, 1(2), 3-9.
- Azam, M.G., Rashid, A.S.M.H., Chowdhury, S.M.K.H., Husnain, M.S. and Uddin, M.J., (2020). Effect of spacing and curd management on quality seed production and profitability of broccoli var. BARI broccoli-1. Journal of Agricultural Science & Engineering Innovation, 1(2), pp.28-32.
- Azmatullah, M., Chowdhury N.U., & Khan M.A.I. (2006). Establishment of citrus rootstock orchard. Research Report on Fruit Improvement 181 2005-06. Regional Agricultural Research Station, Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute, Moulvibazar. 18-19.
- Chen, W., & Rao, J. (1999). Gusangyou, a good local pomello variety. South China Fruits. 28(4), 18. Dugo, G., & Di Bella, G. (2002). Contaminants in citrus essential oils. In Citrus (pp. 532-545). CRC Press. Gaikwad, K. A., Haldavanekar, P. C., Parulekar, Y. R., & Haldankar, P. M. (2015). Survey and characterization of pummelo genotypes (Citrus grandis L. Osbeck) grown in coastal region of Maharashtra. The Ecoscan, 371-380.
- Hoque, M. A., & Hossain, M. M. (2012). Characterization of twenty pummelo genotypes. Ann. Bangladesh Agric. (201 2) 1 6 (2) . 105- 121. Mahajan, R. K., Gangopadhyay, K. K., Kumar, G., Dobhal, V. K., Srivastava, U., Gupta, P. N., & Pareek, S. K. (2002). Minimal descriptors of agri-horticultural crops. Part III: fruit crops (No. C042. 018). National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources.
- Mitra, S. K., Maity, C. S., Ghosh, B., & Pathak, P. K. (2011). Genetic resources of pummelo (Citrus grandis Osbeck) in West Bengal, India. Acta horticulturae, (918), 667.
- Morton, J. 2006. Pummelo. In: Fruits of warm climates. Morton, J.F and F.L. Miami (eds). P. 147-151. Orwa, C., Mutua, A., Kindt, R., Jamnadass, R., & Simons, A. (2009). Agroforestree Database: a tree reference and selection guide. Version 4. Roy, D., Kundu, S., Ghosh, B., Dutta, P., & Pal, R. (2014). Performance of pummelo germplasm in new alluvial zone of West Bengal. Journal of Crop and Weed, 10(2), 179-182.
- Samarasinghe, P. W. S. M. (2005). Selection and conservation of good quality pummelo (Citrus grandis L.) mother trees. IPGRI Newsletter for Asia, Pacific and Oceania, 47, 21-22..
- Shanmugavelu, K.G. (1987). Citrus. In: Production technology of fruit crops. SBA Publications, 1/1 Meredith Street, Calcutta-700072, India. pp: 264-294.
- Singh, A. (1995). Citrus. In: Fruit Physiology and Production. Kalyani Publishers, New Delhi-110002, India. pp: 298-327. Taiping, Z., & Shaolin, P. (2000). Introduction to the Origin and Evolution of Pomelo and Its Distribution in China [J]. Chinese Journal of Ecology, 5.
- Ullah, M.A.,Mannan, M.A. , Islam, M.S. ,Kashem, M.A., & Nasiruddin, K.M. . (2001). Evaluation of fruit characteristics and yield of some local pummelo germplasms. Bangladesh Journal of Crop Scinece, 12(1&2), 115-121. Vinning, G., & Moody, T. (1997). A market compendium of tropical fruits. Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation. Canberra, Australia, 258-266. Youseif, S. H., El-Halwagi, A., Sayed, H. A., & El-Itriby, H. A. (2014). Chemical analyses, antibacterial activity and genetic diversity assessment of some Egyptian Citrus spp. cultivars. African journal of Biotechnology, 13(26).
Article View: 1094 times