Journal of Contemporary Agriculture and Bioscience
Four Crop-based Cropping Pattern Studies for Increasing Profitability and Productivity in Bogura Region of Bangladesh
Received: 27 December, 2021 || Accepted: 28 January, 2022 ||Published: 30 January, 2022
The experiment was conducted at Agricultural Research Station, OFRD, BARI, Bogura (AEZ 3) during 2015-2016 (July 2015 to July 2016) to increase cropping intensity and productivity in rice based cropping system for sustaining food security, poverty reduction, resource management and livelihood improvement of ever increasing populations. Four treatments of cropping sequence were as follows: CP1 = T. aman–Mustard–Boro–T. aus; CP2 = T. aman–Potato–Boro–T. aus; CP3 = T. aman–Mustard–Mungbean–T. aus and CP4 = T. aman–Fallow–Boro–Fallow (Farmers practice). The highest REY (47.76 t ha-1) was recorded from the cropping sequence T. Aman-Potato-Boro-T. Aus, which was followed by T. Aman-Mustard-Boro-T. Aus (18.90 t ha-1). The lowest REY (11.68 t ha-1) was obtained from the cropping sequence T. Aman-Fallow-Boro-Fallow. Inclusion of mustard during rabi season in CP1 and CP3 increased REY 61.62 to 60.79% compared to farmer’s pattern CP4. On the other hand, inclusion of potato in CP2 increased REY 308.90% during 2015-16.
Keywords: Four crops, cropping intensity, productivity and rice equivalent yield.
How to cite: Hasan, T., Alam, M.S., Ali, M.Z., Islam, M.A., & Akther, M.A. 2022. Four Crop-based Cropping Pattern Studies for Increasing Profitability and Productivity in Bogura Region of Bangladesh. Journal of Contemporary Agriculture and Bioscience, 1(1), 1-4.
- Afzal, M. A., Bakar, M. A., Hamid, A., Uddin, M. J., & Haque, M. N. (2008). Strengthening of pulses and oilseed research programme in Bangladesh, BARI, Gazipur-1701. Publication no, 17, 64.
- Ahlawat, I. P. S., Singh, A., & Saraf, C. S. (1981). Effects of winter legumes on the nitrogen economy and productivity of succeeding cereals. Experimental Agriculture, 17(1), 57-62.
- Aziz, M. A., & Rahman, A. K. M. H. (2011). Development of Alternate Cropping Pattern for Coastal Saline of Bangladesh Against Farmer Existing T. Aman-Fallow-Fallow Pattern. Annual Research Report, 2010-11. Agronomy Division, Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute Gazipur, 259-260.
- BBS. (2016). Statistical year book of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, Statistics Division, Ministry of Planning, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Elias, S. M., Hossain, M. S., Sikder, F. S., Ahmed, J., & Karim, M. R. (1986). Identification of constraints to pulse production with special reference to present farming systems. Annual Report of the Agricultural Economics Division, BARI, Joydebpur, p-1. en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/world population
- Haque, A. K. G. M. N., Basher. M. K., Islam, M. S., & Khasem, M. A. (2011). Modern Rice Cultivation, 16th edition. Bangladesh Rice Research Institute, Gazipur-1701.
- Hossain, I., Mondal, M. R. I., Islam, M. J., Aziz, M. A., Khan, A. M., & Begum, F. (2014). Four crops based cropping pattern studies for increasing cropping intensity and productivity in Rajshahi region of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Agronomy Journal, 17(2), 55-60.
- Hossain, M. H., Bashir, M. M., Bhowal, S. K., Naher, Q., Zahan, T., Hasan, M. K., & ASMMR, K. (2017). Production technology of four crop based cropping pattern Mustard-Boro-T. Aus-T. Aman rice in Cumilla region (Bengali Booklet). OFRD (On-Farm Research Division), BARI, Bangladesh, 23.
- Islam, M. F., & Haq, M. F. (1999). Integrated nutrient management with inorganic fertilizers and green manure in some dominant cropping patterns. in ‘Proceedings of the national workshop on integrated nutrient management for crop production and soil fertility’, ed. by Islam, M. F., Choudhury, D. A., Panaullah, G. M., Miah, M. U., Rijpma, J., & Haque, M. F. Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute: Gazipur, Bangladesh, 55–72.
- Islam, M. S. (1989). Soil nutrient status affecting productivity of pulses in the major and potential pulse-growing areas. In Second National Workshop on Pulses; Advances in Pulses Research in Bangladesh, Joydebpur (Bangladesh), 6-8 Jun 1989. BARI.
- Kabir, K. H., & Haque, M. Z. (2012). Alu Chash er Adhunik Kola kowshal (Modern Production Technology of Potato).
- Kurtz, L. T., Boone, L. V., Peck, T. R., & Hoeft, R. G. (1984). Crop rotations for efficient nitrogen use. Nitrogen in crop production, 295-306.
- Mondal, M. R. I., & Wahhab, M. A. (2001). Production Technology of Crops. Oilseed Research Center, Bangladesh Agril. Res. Inst. Joydebpur, Gazipur, 1-10.
- Mondal, M. R. I., Islam, M. S., Jalil, M. A. B., Rahman, M. M., Alam, M. S., & Rahman, M. H. H. (2011). Krishi projukti hatboi (Handbook of Agro-technology).
- Rachie, K. O., & Roberts, L. M. (1974). Grain legumes of the lowland tropics. In Advances in agronomy (Vol. 26, pp. 1-132). Academic Press.
- Rahman, M. S., Satter, M. A., Huleder, A. R., Begum, N., Begum, S., Azam, M. A., ... & Raider, M. R. (2008). Unnoto Krishi Projukti Poreceite (Modern Introducing on Agro-technology) by BINA developed in Bangla. Bangladesh Institute of Nuclear Agriculture. Mymensingh-2200, Bangladesh, 54-61.
- Sharma, S. N., & Prasad, R. (1999). Effects of sesbania green manuring and mungbean residue incorporation of productivity and nitrogen uptake of a rice-wheat cropping system. Bioresource Technology, 67(2), 171-175.
- Wahhab, M. A., Mondal, M. R. I., Akbar, M. A., Alam, M. S., Ahmed, M. U., & Begum, F. (2002). Status of oilseed crops production in Bangladesh. Oil Seed Res. Center, Bangladesh Agril. Res. Inst., Joydebpur, Gazipur, 4-62.
Article View: 1239 times